January 6, 2015

Makeup removers for sensitive skin (Water, Gel Removers)

Ever since I developed a sensitive area around my left eye, I have been on the lookout for sensitive skincare products. I wanted something that I could use on my whole face without causing the eye area further irritation.

I went to the doc's and was given some steroid cream for the sensitive area and while it works well, occasionally it comes back and gets dry and slightly itchy again, and some skin care products meant for normal skin could also cause the itch to return.


I got these from Luxola (again). I sound like I'm an ambassador lol. I've actually only purchased from them a couple of times and have reviewed some of the products separately previously.

Came across the brand This Works on the site and got the This Works 5-in-1 cleanser as it sounded promising with the online reviews which were largely positive.Found the light herbal smell a bit off at first but I've since grown to like it and I find it a relaxing scent nowadays.

It's packaged a in long slim elegant bottle with simple classy fonts.Bottle is really convenient and hygienic with a pump dispenser.

I only realized later it wasn't meant for cleaning makeup at the eye area and it did feel slightly sting-y when I wiped my eyes with it.I still love to use it for the rest of my face and very lightly over my eyelids as an extra cleansing step after using makeup remover wipes. There is no feeling of stickiness and it takes off dirt and makeup easily, leaving skin feeling refreshed, soft and hydrated. Love it because after swiping with a cotton pad it looks like it really takes all the gunk off. I sometimes use it after exercising or during the afternoon when I feel my face needs some refreshing and I don't want to wash it again.

Got the Mario Budescu eye makeup remover gel (non-oily) shortly after and it is great for delicate skin. It's my go to remover especially on days when my skin feels really sensitive and I prefer not to use a wipe. The gel is lightweight and requires only a small blob of product, removing even waterproof eyeliner when you massage it over the eyelids. And after, just lightly clean with a cotton pad to get rid of any residue.

These are of course just for removing makeup, and you do need a cleanser as an additional step to remove any remaining impurities and to deep cleanse your skin. This Works Clean Skin Gentle Cleanser is a mild facial wash containing Rosehip oil which has hydrating properties and the cleanser leaves a smooth film after rinsing off. It has a floral herbal-y scent which does not irritate my skin. However if you
use an oil-based makeup remover prior to this, it can feel like your skin is not properly cleansed even with the cleanser as the both together creates this slightly 'oily' feeling.Otherwise, I think its a good cleanser that although feels mild and gentle, effectively cleanses the skin.

Besides all the mentioned products, I started getting makeup remover wipes for tiring days when I just want to quickly remove my makeup and save the hassle of transferring products onto a cotton pad. Have been trying a couple of brands which are supposedly formulated for sensitive skin and I can only say that wipes do more or less lightly irritate the eye area, sometimes because of the ingredients or due to the material which can be a little rough on the skin.

I've also been on the lookout for cleansers and I'm happy that there are a couple which have had great results and do not aggravate. May do a post on that soon.


Have a lovely week!



No comments:

Post a Comment