September 23, 2014

Top to toe

You know when people say that "eyes are the windows to the soul" and that you need to pay attention to eye makeup (mascara-ed lashes, "deep-set" eyes makeup, colored contact lenses etc). While that's really true, I realised that there's another part that I or maybe most people fail to put more effort in. The 'soles' are important as well because your choice of shoes are noticed more often than you would think, or want to think. ;P There's a reason to looking at a person 'from head to toe' after all.

Like honestly, I don't think I've ever been a shoe person. There are rare periods of interest where I might acquire a few pairs in a short span of time but most of the time I feel I'm more of a beauty products and CLOTHESSS spender.

My choice of shoes for the entire week can be predictable. Because I only wear that ONE pair. LOL. 

I sound unhygenic.

I buy one pair of shoes that last me for a couple of months or more, which is normally a color and design that will suit 90% of my outfits. It's the same as buying bags for me. I don't know how some girls are so hardworking to change their bags to match with their OOTD, to me it's a hassle of switching small items, removing my keys, transport card, rubber ties for my hair etc to another bag and most likely forgetting something important.


Haha. But of course I own more than 1 pair of shoes. That I sometimes do try and remember to rotate with my 'everyday' shoes.


An example of shoes which are close to the types I usually get. Which is quite funny because I really do get shoes in such neutral colors. Decent, flexible, not too shabby but also damn boring.

They are nice though, the boring part is probably because I wear it repeatedly.

Anyway, I've decided I will stop buying cheapo looking flats, those that are very obviously of inferior quality and look majorly mass-produced. Where when it rains the glue detaches itself from the base and leaves a little hole that will morph into a 'mouth' in a matter of days. And the type of flats where the more you wear it, the wider the width until you no longer have to slide your feet into the shoe from the back but just stomp your feet down and you are done wearing them.

I used to think that convenience was the most important when it came to shoes. It didn't matter until I gradually realised while observing others the huge difference it can make and that your feet aren't really that inconspicuous after all. Granted, I'm not sloppy and will not wear a pair of flip flops to town, and will at least put on a decent pair of covered shoes. 


It can dress up or dress down your outfit. Not a mind blowing discovery but I daresay a lot of people are guilty(hehe) like me. I've seen girls who look put together and wear the current trending styles of clothing but on their feet is a pair of weary, neutral colored and almost-matching-but not-really footwear that frumps up their whole ensemble. Most probably their 'everyday' shoes. Lol.

Not saying that you have to don very fashionable shoes or be dressed to the nines daily, just an observation. 


http://www.popsocial.com/files/2009/06/bad-shoes1.jpg
Jennifer Connelly



Here you can see, if I'm not wrong, Blake Lively. Her bright yellow outerwear would have been the centrepiece of this entire outfit if she had put on some normal looking black shoes. But the unique booties provide another equally attractive eye-catcher to this picture.


People do look at your shoes.Your feet, they are not invisible. People pay most attention to your upper body but yet occasionally their eyes wander and focus on your feet. I get uncomfortable when people do that because they'll either see my worn-to-death flats or my chipped nail polish if I'm in sandals. In the train where there are opposite-facing seats, and I happen to look at someone's footwear, they start getting twitchy and look really uneasy like they are being judged.

They are an accessory of their own. Just like you would take the time to choose a matching clutch bag or a chunky necklace. Shoes are not just functional items but can, like your other focuses (hair, lip color) complement your overall look, or stand out on their own.

I spend time to do my make-up, tame my hair and choose a nice outfit when I go out. But I normally just grab some comfy and worn shoes to put on just before I leave my house because I feel like no one's gonna look at my feet anyway. 

Crocs probably tops the footwear list as one of the ugliest shoes ever made. I'm sure there's such a list lol. But as they slowly introduce more cheerful colors and are mostly worn by happy looking families on outings with their children in matching crocs, and dressed-down contented long-term couples, it just gets less unbearable to look at. I mean, people feel good looking at happy people right?

Parents may choose crocs as the choice of footwear for their kids because it's designed to be sturdy, safe and are beneficial for their little feet. So behind the rubbery hideousness of a pair of crocs is a kind and loving intention.



Anyway, the point of this entry is that I've decided to put my foot down (lol) and refrain from purchasing any more of those $19.90 flats (or rather look like they cost that much) just because they seem kind of comfortable and are cheap, but badly made and not durable. 

Slowly annihilate the crappy shoes from my already very small collection and buy better-made (not necessarily expensive) pairs that will last me a long time in terms of style and quality.

After all we're only young once, now's the time to dress up right? I don't think I would bother about my appearance too much when I'm like in my fifties. ;D Would probably have resigned to fate(aging) long ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment